Professional Certificate Approval Program
Coding certificate programs which have earned formal approval under AHIMA’s Professional Certificate Approval Program (PCAP) adhere to quality standards in programming, instruction and curriculum for non-degree granting academic coding certificate programs.
PCAP approved coding certificate programs offer a comprehensive curriculum which meets or exceeds rigorous PCAP coding competencies and have been evaluated for compliance with faculty qualifications for coding education and program standards.
Directory of PCAP Approved Programs
The Directory of PCAP Approved Programs is an online resource which is frequently visited by prospective students who are specifically seeking coding certificate programs which meet rigorous coding education standards, as well as employers who are looking for well-trained job candidates.
An academic coding certificate program is eligible to apply for PCAP approval only if:
There are no exceptions to these eligibility criteria.
Initial/Renewal Application Process
1. Download and review the following documents for application requirements:
See the 2018 PCAP Coding Competencies Implementation Timeline below.
2. Ensure that all required documents are prepared as directed so they can be easily uploaded during the online application process.
If you have any questions as you are preparing your application materials, please contact AHIMA’s PCAP Administrator Jamita Wince at firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. Using the Self-Study Template as your primary tool,
4. Submit full payment.
5. Upon submission of the online application and full payment, email email@example.com. You will receive an email confirmation to verify receipt of your application and payment, after which the formal application review process will begin.
Follow the steps below to annually renew PCAP approval:
1. Download and review the following documents for the PCAP renewal (attestation) requirements:
2. Ensure that all required documents are prepared as directed so they can be easily forwarded via email.
3. Email your Annual Attestation Form and any other required documents to firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. Submit full payment. Email email@example.com after payment has been submitted.
5. Upon submission of your Annual Attestation Form, any other required documents and full payment, you will receive an email confirmation to verify receipt of your renewal materials and payment, after which the formal renewal review process will begin.
|PCAP application or attestation after September 1, 2021||
As of September 1, 2021, all PCAP-approved programs must be compliant with the 2018 PCAP Competencies