AHIMA’s Prior Approval Program is meant for companies interested in providing continuing education units (CEUs) to AHIMA credential holders. If you are interested in obtaining an AHIMA credential, please click on one of the certifications located under “Quick Links,” (right sidebar) or click here for more information on obtaining a credential.
AHIMA encourages companies to apply to be recognized as an AHIMA Prior Approval Program if they are conducting an educational session that would meet one of the following domains: Technology; Management Development; Clinical Data Management; Performance Improvement; External Forces; Clinical Foundations. For descriptions of each domain, please click here and refer to Appendix A.
The Prior Approval Program Guide outlines the benefits, standards, and requirements of AHIMA’s Prior Approval Program. It also features application information and AHIMA's procedures for monitoring approved programs.
Prior Approval Program Applications
Please review the Prior Approval Guide prior to submission.
*Please note new program pricing which will go into effect on May 1, 2015
Online Prior Approval Application- Using the online application will decrease your application processing time . Approval letters will be sent via email to the address indicated on the application form.
Paper Prior Approval Application- To pay by check, please download and complete the paper application. Include the completed application, supporting documentation, and payment information with submission. This process will take between four to six weeks. Approval letters will be sent via email to the address indicated on the application form.
Search for AHIMA Prior Approved Educational Programs – Find programs based on company name, format, content, and location.
Benefits of Prior Approval
Your organization, as well as program participants, can benefit from AHIMA Prior Approval status.
- Gain esteem and respect for your continuing education program among HIM and coding colleagues and employers.
- Your program will be distinguished as meeting AHIMA's requirements and standards.
- Participants can have confidence in content integrity.
- Enhance your program’s value among more than 101,000 health information professionals
- Use AHIMA's respected Statement of Approval
- Include in marketing and promotional activities supporting your approved program
- Participants have a confirmed numbers of CEUs and easy CEU submission