Certified Coding Specialist--Physician-based (CCS-P) - Explore Further Coding Opportunities through Professional Certification
CCS-Ps are coding practitioners who:
- Specialize in physician-based settings such as physician offices, group practices, multi-specialty clinics, or specialty centers
- Review patient records and assign numeric codes for each diagnosis and procedure
- Possess in-depth knowledge of the CPT coding system and familiarity with the ICD-9-CM and HCPCS Level II coding systems
- Are experts in health information documentation, data integrity, and quality
- Play a critical role in a health provider's business operations, because patients' coded data is submitted to insurance companies or the government for expense reimbursement.
The employment outlook for CCS-Ps is highly favorable, considering the growth of managed care and the movement of health services delivery beyond the hospital setting. Professionals performing coding in a doctor's office, clinic, or similar setting should consider obtaining the CCS-P certification to testify to their capabilities. The CCS-P certification exam assesses mastery-level proficiency in coding rather than entry-level skills.